By Cliff Harvey ND
“The American diet consists of 62% processed foods, 27% animal products, and 5% french fries and ketchup. That’s 94% of our diet, right there, leaving only 6% for fruits, vegetables and nuts.” ~ Dr. Fuhrman .
This quote got me thinking about just how disgusting our modern diet is!
But far from being a call to action to achieve the 'perfect diet' (whatever the heck that is...) it is a call to action to simply do most things right, most of the time...because right now most of us are doing (nutritionally) most things wrong most of the time.
In fact 'perfect' is the opposite of progress for the simple reason that it can't be achieved and it therefore drives dissatisfaction and unhappiness. IF our sense of satisfaction is predicated in achieving 'perfection' (an impossible goal) we will never in fact be satisfied.
However by simply doing 'most things right, most of the time' we can achieve extraordinary health results.
The 80-20 rule could well provide at least some basis for good eating, just as it is so valuable for other things in life....and it would certainly make a vast improvement over the figures above if we were to eat well 80% of the time.
Try to challenge yourself by attempting to make at least 80% of what you eat, whole and unprocessed foods.
This could consist of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, berries, eggs, fish and meats.
When you eat and how much is up to you. Quality is superior to quantity - and quality in this respect is defined by the 3 golden words: Natural, Whole and Unprocessed.
You'll soon find that 80-20 isn't that hard at all.
Research and popular science articles by the members and faculty of the Holistic Performance Institute.