Today, she is symptom-free and in remission from Graves disease due to a lifestyle overhaul and has since founded Be Good Organics, a plant-based wholefoods blog, online community and store. We are very excited to have Buffy present at HPN 2016 where she will be discussing plant-based nutrition.
In the meantime Buffy has been kind enough to share with us a recipe from her blog- spiced cauliflower fritters! I know what I am having for dinner tonight!
Get the recipe below:
Spiced Cauliflower Fritters
1/2 large cauliflower (or 1 small)
handful fresh coriander
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1c chickpea (besan) flour*
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp himalayan pink salt / kelp salt
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp ground ginger (optional)
pinch of chilli flakes / cayenne pepper (optional)
Extra coriander / parsley to serve
* You can make your own chickpea flour by simply blending up chickpeas in a high powered food processor until they're the consistency of flour
c = 250ml cup, tbsp = 15ml tablespoon, tsp = 5ml teaspoon
- In a food processor, blend the cauliflower, fresh coriander and garlic until they're finely chopped (but not pureed to a mush).
- Add the chickpea flour, baking powder, salt, spices and water. Blend on low to combine (making sure there are no lumps of flour left).
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan to medium heat, then fry 1/4 cup scoops of the mixture (~4 at a time, 3 minutes each side) until bubbles appear and they start to look dry on top, then flip and cook the other side until golden.
- Place in a 50°C oven (or on the pilot light) to keep them warm while you're cooking the remaining batch.
- Serve topped with sliced avocado, toasted sesame seeds and a squeeze of lemon. Or choose your own favourite topping combo!